Friday, February 25, 2011

Jackies Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie

So I am not much of a cook, I can cook, but it is just not a priority in my life.  I do enjoy cooking, when I find a good recipe that is fun to make.  This is one of my most favorite recipes that I got from my mother-in-law.  It is easy and fun to make, and it is yummy!  I also like to vary the recipe and switch up the ingredients from time to time.  You can use Chicken or Turkey for this recipe.

Jackie's Chicken/ Turkey Pot Pie
1 1/2 Cup Mushrooms sliced
1-3 Carrots- chopped into small pieces
1/2 Cup Onion chopped
1/2 Cup Celery Chopped
1/2 Stick Butter
1/3 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
1 1/2 Cup Milk
4 Cups Cubed Chicken
1 Cup Frozen Peas
1 tsp Salt
Other seasonings to taste
(Optional ingredients: Broccoli, frozen spinach)

In a Large Skillet Saute Butter, mushrooms, Carrots, Onions, Celery, and Garlic (broccoli) until tender.  Sprinkle with Flour.  Stir in Milk and Chicken Broth.  Bring to Boil for 2 minutes until thickened.  Add Chicken, Peas, (frozen spinach), salt, and other seasonings.
Pour into Greased 2 Qt Baking Dish 
Top with Bisquits (see recipe below)
Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-25min (make sure biscuits are cooked)

Baking Powder Biscuits  (taken from a 1933 recipe)
2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
4 Tbspn Butter cut in cubes
1/2 tsp Salt
About 3/4 Cups Milk

Mix Dry ingredients, cut in butter (using your hands works really well).  Slowly add milk to right consistency.  Knead for 30 sec.  Roll into "tube" and cut discs to place on top of pot pie mixture.

Sorry I have no pictures of this right now, but trust me, it is yummy and easy!!


 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, it was YUM MEE!!! Thanks. Copying it right now.

    ReplyDelete